Thursday, April 10, 2008

Josh's Big Dummy

Photo: Josh Maus

Why the Big Dummy:

Originally I considered adding an Xtracycle free radical to a mountain bike but never made it around to doing it. I have a few friends with Xtracycle setups on their bikes and I envied their ability to haul things around-- chairs and coolers to picnics, recyclables to the recycle center, ladders, etc. I have been living car-free for almost a year now and wanted a bike that could bring groceries home, or could be loaded up and go camping with, or be used to transport large items when needed. When I saw pictures of the Big Dummy I decided it was the best route to go.

Build spec:
  • Salsa Pro Moto Bar
  • Salsa stem
  • Swobo grips/bar ends
  • Avid BB7 disc brakes
  • Chris King Nothreadset
  • Shimano Deore XT drivetrain
  • Salsa Delgado Race rims
  • DT Swiss 14 gauge spokes
  • Shimano XT hubs
  • DMR Bikes Transition 26x2.2 tires
  • Salsa seatpost
  • Brooks B17 saddle

I have never had the experience of putting a bike together until the Dummy. I asked Paul McKenna (local bicycle shop owner) for his help with selecting components and assembling it once everything arrived. His help was greatly appreciated! I went with Salsa components because they are associated with QBP (just like Surly) and they make high quality stuff, Swobo just because, Shimano hubs/drivetrain because of the value and quality, Brooks saddle to see what the big deal was about their saddles, Chris King headset because it's a unique project, and DMR tires because they looked good for urban riding.

First impressions:

"Whoa this bike is long!" (but you get used to it after awhile) I really think it rides better when carrying a load, the inertia keeps it rolling with very little effort. Also, the frame feels solid and bullet proof with several years of hard use ahead of it.

Josh's Foosties Review from Powered by Nachos

No comments: